Re: [SLE] RHEL : CentOS :: SLEx : ?
  • From: kai <kai@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2006 09:23:38 -0700
On Sunday 09 April 2006 04:34 am, Ken Schneider wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-04-09 at 12:47 +0530, Shriramana Sharma wrote:
> > > enterprise server platform?
> >
> > I need a SUSE-based stable desktop. I do not need an enterprise system.
>
> Then either purchase the boxed version or download the OSS ver. Neither
> are "bleeding edge" and are -very- stable as long as -you- do not
> install the bleeding edge software from third party repos.

Agree with Ken, here.

I'd say the released versions are more than stable. I can't think when the OS
has ever crashed on me and have only had a few instances of apps crashing
(KMail, Amarok, MS Word) since July, when I loaded 9.3 on this laptop. (I
did have some issues with the hard drive under 9.3 which magically
disappeared under 10.0.)

If you want stable, the "official" sources are that. The "bleeding edge"
portion of the distribution comes from loading things like the
latest/greatest KDE or Gnome or rolling your own version of - say - Blender.

Funny story - my mom calls this week to complain she's got a virus on her SuSE
9.2 system (up since March '05) because she's seeing this happy face follow
her mouse all over her screen. Realizing that she had been watching my
computer-saavy five-year-old on Tuesday, I inquired if he'd been playing
TuxRacer or LBreakout or TuxPaint (his favorites). She said, yes, he had.

http://www.perfectreign.com/modules/myalbum/photo.php?lid=81&cid=7

(Here he is playing TuxRacer on my laptop...)

I explained that she shouldn't have a virus at all on her system and to
right-click the happy face. Turns out my son had somehow launched the On
Screen Creature (AMOR). She was able to get rid of it without a problem. I
also reminded her that the reason we went with SuSE was to rid her of virus
problems, like she had on her WinXP system.

Now if only I can get a Linux version of Photoshop for her...
--
kai - www.perfectreign.com
www.livebeans.com - the new NetBeans community

43...for those who require slightly more than
the answer to life, the universe and everything.