Re: [SLE] Changed Network Cards
  • From: Leendert Meyer <leen.meyer@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2006 19:51:54 +0200
On Sunday 09 April 2006 19:05, Elijah Savage wrote:
> Leendert Meyer wrote:
> > On Sunday 09 April 2006 17:23, Elijah Savage wrote:
> >> All,
> >>
> >> I changed my realtek network card for a intel pro 1000 gig card. Suse10
> >> added this card as eth1 I want to change it back to eth0 I know there is
> >> a flat file for doing this but for the life of me I can't remember which
> >> it is. After long searches on google I can't seem to find it either.
> >>
> >> I think it was posted here once also but just no luck with that, any
> >> help with the name of this file would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > I know *exactly* what you mean! :) I had this problem too a while ago,
> > took me some time to figure it out. Alas, I forgot what file it was...
> >
> > cd /etc; egrep -wr 'eth[0-9]+'
> >
> > did the trick again. Have a look
> > at /etc/udev/rules.d/30-net_persistent_names.rules
> >
> > It's just a matter of combinint the right MAC-address with the right
> > eth[0-9].
> >
> > You might want to 'ifdown eth1' before, and 'ifup eth0' afterward.
>
> I do not even have to rename it, if I can just get eth1 to start at
> bootup without having to go into yast to make it initialize that would
> be great.

I see. But that should automatically happen if you setup an interfacecard with
YaST.

But my previous advice was
wrong. /etc/udev/rules.d/30-net_persistent_names.rules points to
documentation in /usr/share/doc/packages/sysconfig/. I had missed that. ;)

The point is that one can rename interfaces with 'rename_netiface':

ifdown eth1
rename_netiface eth0 eth2
rename_netiface eth1 eth0
rename_netiface eth2 eth1
ifup eth0

I have a second, unused interface card in my pc. Maybe you could directly
rename eth1 to eth0.

This time I did test it myself, and it works. One might have to use something
else instead of eth2 if eth2 is in use.

Cheers,

Leen