Re: [SLE] Changed Network Cards
  • From: Elijah Savage <esavage@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 09 Apr 2006 14:11:17 -0400
Leendert Meyer wrote:
> On Sunday 09 April 2006 19:05, Elijah Savage wrote:

>>> I know *exactly* what you mean! :) I had this problem too a while ago,
>>> took me some time to figure it out. Alas, I forgot what file it was...
>>>
>>> cd /etc; egrep -wr 'eth[0-9]+'
>>>
>>> did the trick again. Have a look
>>> at /etc/udev/rules.d/30-net_persistent_names.rules
>>>
>>> It's just a matter of combinint the right MAC-address with the right
>>> eth[0-9].
>>>
>>> You might want to 'ifdown eth1' before, and 'ifup eth0' afterward.
>> I do not even have to rename it, if I can just get eth1 to start at
>> bootup without having to go into yast to make it initialize that would
>> be great.
>
> I see. But that should automatically happen if you setup an interfacecard with
> YaST.
>
> But my previous advice was
> wrong. /etc/udev/rules.d/30-net_persistent_names.rules points to
> documentation in /usr/share/doc/packages/sysconfig/. I had missed that. ;)
>
> The point is that one can rename interfaces with 'rename_netiface':
>
> ifdown eth1
> rename_netiface eth0 eth2
> rename_netiface eth1 eth0
> rename_netiface eth2 eth1
> ifup eth0
>
> I have a second, unused interface card in my pc. Maybe you could directly
> rename eth1 to eth0.
>
> This time I did test it myself, and it works. One might have to use something
> else instead of eth2 if eth2 is in use.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Leen

Yeah I did use yast to set it up but after reboot the card is not
detected. I go into yast and the card initializes and everything is fine.

Elijah Savage | AOL IM:layer3rules
Senior Network Engineer | When it has to be switched or routed.
http://www.digitalrage.org | The Information Technology News Center
----- http://www.digitalrage.org/?page_id=46 for pgp public key--------

< Previous Next >