Re: [SLE] How does one pronounce "SUSE"
  • From: Anders Norrbring <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 09:59:49 +0200

Hi,
Most of us here pronounce SUSE it as "susie" ,as in MJs blood on
dance floor hit "susie got your number".
/snip/

Actually, SuSE is a German acronym, but I don't remember what it
stands for, except the "u" is "und". I looked in a pre-Novell
handbook, but could not find the words. In German, one would have said ZOO-zeh. Now, the official use is SUSE--the German is gone, and so, of course, is the acronym.
I think most of us pronounce it "Suzy" as in the Everly Brothers'
song, "Wake Up Li'l Suzy." I guess that is the same as the MJs,
but I never heard of them, so I don't know.

The name "S.u.S.E.", shortened to just "SuSE" in October 1998, was originally an acronym for the German phrase "Software- und System-Entwicklung" ("Software and system development"). The company's name was changed to SUSE Linux after Novell's purchase and "SUSE" does not officially stand for anything any more. There is unofficial rumour that the name is an analogy with the German computer pioneer Konrad Zuse.

(Source http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SuSE )