Re: [SLE] RHEL : CentOS :: SLEx : ?
  • From: Daniel Bauer <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 10:12:31 +0200
Am Sonntag, 9. April 2006 18:23 schrieb kai:
>(....)
>
> Now if only I can get a Linux version of Photoshop for her...
> --

Not having photoshop on Linux was the only reason I had to suffer such a long
time under M$ W. As a professional photographer having a good digital photo
workflow is quite essential...

Now I have a photoshop running (with crossover) - and I *never* use it
anymore:

digiKam and gimp are even more than a compensation for photoshop. All work
that has to be done on the entire image is _much_ easier, faster and more
comfortable in digiKam than in photoshop.

If you need to do some work on selected parts of the image (or montages) ,
then gimp is perfect, it can even load my old .psd files with layers. It just
takes a (short) while to accustom oneself to the slightly different use,
names, shortcuts and menu-positions of the tools. Gimp can be called directly
from within digiKam.

UFRaw provides a very powerful second opportunity to convert raw image files,
extremely much better than the software that is delivered with the cameras
(at least the crap delivered with Canon SLR's).

Finally for bulk processing (changing sizes or file format e.g. from tiff to
jpg etc.) imagemagick provides very powerful command line tools, that are so
fast, that a long-time photoshop user sometimes just can't believe it's
already done.

After I was so much afraid to switch to Linux because of loosing "my"
photoshop I now almost can't imagine how I handled all the work before, when
I only had photoshop...

So make your mom happy and install digiKam on her desktop :-)

Daniel
special interest site: http://www.bauer-nudes.com