Re: [SLE] cron not recognizing changes to /etc/cron.d files [SOLVED]
  • From: Leendert Meyer <leen.meyer@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 13:11:17 +0200
On Monday 10 April 2006 12:33, Joachim Schrod wrote:
> Leendert Meyer wrote:
> > On Monday 10 April 2006 06:49, Greg Wallace wrote:
> >> I promise I'm not trying to steal this thread, but I'm going to push
> >> my luck and ask a question. What type of action changes the file's
> >> status change date (and would that also necessarily change the file's
> >> creation/modification date?)?
> >
> > Do you mean 'touch'? Try 'man touch' and see if that meets your
> > description.
>
> As posted already several times in this thread, touch is not able to set

Sorry, I did not follow the thread from its beginnings. Gregs way of phrasing
tricked me into answering mode (my choice and my bad). ;)

> the file status change date, aka st_ctime in <sys/stat.h>. In fact, I don't

I do not have a <sys/stat.h> in /usr/include/, but a <bits/stat.h>, but
st_ctime is mentioned there too. From that I conclude that st_ctime is also
named the "file's creation time". Correct?

> know of any C function that could set it. If you know one, speak up and
> tell us.

No. But in a shell one posibility could be 'cat f.txt > tmp.txt; cat tmp.txt >
f.txt; rm tmp.txt'. But a shell is not C.

This is a bit out of my league, so I'll step back. ;)

Cheers,

Leen