Re: [SLE] How does one pronounce "SUSE"
  • From: Kevanf1 <kevanf1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 16:08:34 +0100
On 11/04/06, Leendert Meyer <leen.meyer@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tuesday 11 April 2006 12:24, James Knott wrote:
> > Per Jessen wrote:
> > >
> > > Linux or Linus? Linus Torvalds IS Finnish, but quite probably also
> > > speaks Swedish.
> >
> > As I recall, he lived in a Swedish area of Finland, so by nationality,
> > he's Finnish, but by language he's Swedish, though not quite the same
> > Swedish as in Sweden.
>
> Indeed. Here he is on wikipedia:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linus_Torvalds
>
> Cheers,
>
> Leen
>
> --

I'm still amazed at how many people mispronounce both Linus and Linux.
Despite Linus being on the sound file in some distro's actually
saying it himself.

For the record:

Linux is pronounced Lin - ux not Line - ux as many seem to say.

Similarly, Linus is Lin - us and not Line - us.

I think the confusion perhaps comes from the Shultz 'Peanuts' cartoon
character, 'Linus' who is pronounced Line - us.

Xmas may be over but, PLEASE DON'T drink and drive you'll make it to
the next one that way.

Kevan Farmer

Linux user #373362

Cheslyn Hay