Re: [SLE] How does one pronounce "SUSE"
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 22:02:20 +0200
James Knott wrote:

>> Linux or Linus? Linus Torvalds IS Finnish, but quite probably also
>> speaks Swedish.
>
> As I recall, he lived in a Swedish area of Finland, so by nationality,
> he's Finnish, but by language he's Swedish,

A "Swedish area of Finland"? - that's like calling Hamburg "a German
area of Denmark". Or York "an English area of Denmark". Let's not go
there :-)

According to wikipedia, the omnipotent source of all fact:

"Seine Familie gehört zur schwedischsprechenden Minderheit in Finnland.
Er besuchte ab 1988 die Universität Helsinki."

Whatever languages Linus may or may not speak, he is clearly Finnish,
though he belongs to the Swedish-speaking minority. How Linus sees
himself is his matter, but for most intents and purposes he is Finnish.

Personally, I speak three languages like a native, and another two close
enough for only natives to tell otherwise. My nationality is still
only Danish.

/Per Jessen, Zürich
whose command of Finnish is limited to "Yksi, Kaksi, Kippis". Enough
for a good night out, I believe. Apologies about the speeling.

< Previous Next >