Re: [SLE] Recommended Steps to swap out video cards
  • From: Elijah Savage <esavage@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 17:00:16 -0400
Mike McMullin wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-04-10 at 15:25 -0500, Sunny wrote:
>> On 4/10/06, Elijah Savage <esavage@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> I want to get rid of this ATI card and go to Geforce 6600. Is there
>>> anything that I need to know or should do before venturing down this road.
>>> I did not get much info from sir google :).
>>>
>>> Thank you
>>>

>> 1. Swap the card.
>> 2. On the boot screen, press F3 (Options) and type "3" for boot
>> parameters. This is going to boot you in runlevel 3
>> 3. login as root
>> 4. uninstall the ati driver, if you had installed any
>> 5. follow the instructions here to install the nvidia driver:
>> <http://www.suse.de/~sndirsch/nvidia-installer-HOWTO.html>
>
> Why not go to the trouble of backing up a copy of the xorg config file
> first? It could make life easier in case one needs to swap the old card
> back in.

Followed these instructions and everything came up fine, but in YAST
under hardware should the video card say VESA Framebuffer?

Elijah Savage | AOL IM:layer3rules
Senior Network Engineer | When it has to be switched or routed.
http://www.digitalrage.org | The Information Technology News Center
----- http://www.digitalrage.org/?page_id=46 for pgp public key--------