Re: [SLE] Slightly OT. How to retrieve ISP settings from a dead win98
  • From: Rikard Johnels <rikard.j@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 23:43:58 +0100

> >On 4/11/06, Rikard Johnels <rikard.j@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> Hello list!
> >> Maybe someone here can help me.
> >> I have a friend who is a computer illiterate (More or less)
> >> And he's old Win98 crashed due to a bad disk.
> >> I managed to dd_rescue most of it, but of course its not bootable.
> >> Now, as my evil plan is to make a convert of the poor guy, i have
> >> installed Linux on his machine :)
> >>
> >> But the difficult thing is: He doesnt know his ISPsetup.
> >> It seems he doesnt even know WHAT provider he has....
> >> No papers no nothing in place to look for clues.
> >>
> >> So my question is: How the *bad words* can i retrieve the ISP settings
> >> from the dead Win98 setup?
> >>
> >> --
> >> /Rikard
>
> Doesn't his ISP send him a bill? Maybe it's listed on his
> credit card bill. Then call them up and explain. If he has a
> connection from his local library, as is possible where I live,
> then he should go there and ask them. If he's using the phoneco,
> it should show up on the phone bill. This seems like child's play.
>
> I may be missing something, and if so, I apologize.
>
> --dm
>

> --

The charges are not withdrawn from his creditcard, its charged on his ordinary
phonebill as an ordinary local phonecall. And even though the phone company
does specify bills, you have to ask for it specifically, and he hasnt done
that.
And as stated, the phone company aren't too keen on revealing the numbers
called. I have no idea why, but that is what they have said...

--
         /Rikard

email   : rikard.j@xxxxxxxxxx
web     : http://www.rikjoh.com
mob: : +46 (0)763 19 76 25
< 15 28 DF 78 67 98 B2 16 1F D3 FD C5 59 D4 B6 78  46 1C EE 56 >
< Previous Next >