Re: [SLE] Slightly OT. How to retrieve ISP settings from a dead win98
  • From: Rob Wright <suserob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 18:26:02 -0500
On Tuesday April 11 2006 17:57, Bruce Marshall wrote:
> On Tuesday 11 April 2006 18:43, Rikard Johnels wrote:
> > And as stated, the phone company aren't too keen on revealing the numbers
> > called. I have no idea why, but that is what they have said...
>
> Maybe try one of the 'reverse lookups' for phone numbers found on the web?
>
> But probably not something they would have info for.....
>
> Maybe dialing the number with minicom would elicit an opening line before
> the signon?

I want to be clear here. He doesn't know the ISP name. He doesn't know the
phone number. He doesn't know any of his ISP information. What about his
email, does he have an email address with the ISP that might tell him who it
is? Is he sure he had an ISP?

If you've managed to rescue any of the registry you might be able to grep out
some settings names in there. Look for any modem or dial-up logs.

Trying to connect via a modem and looking for a banner was my first though,
but since you don't even know the phone number that's not going to work
either.

Best bet seems to be to lean on the phone company for the phone number,
they're the ones collecting payment for the ISP, I wouldn't think that'd be
some super secret information they couldn't give out. Failing that, just
start with a new ISP.

Good lukc,

< Previous Next >