Re: [SLE] How does one pronounce "SUSE"
  • From: James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 19:32:15 -0400
Per Jessen wrote:
> James Knott wrote:
>
>>> Linux or Linus? Linus Torvalds IS Finnish, but quite probably also
>>> speaks Swedish.
>> As I recall, he lived in a Swedish area of Finland, so by nationality,
>> he's Finnish, but by language he's Swedish,
>
> A "Swedish area of Finland"? - that's like calling Hamburg "a German
> area of Denmark". Or York "an English area of Denmark". Let's not go
> there :-)

I was referring to an area of Finland, where there are lots of Swedes.
However, I've since read he's from Helsinki, which is a Finnish area of
Sweden. ;-)

Actually, there are many areas of Europe and elsewhere, where national
borders include populations that are from neighbouring contries. IIRC,
there's even a piece of Italy on the Swiss side of a border lake. Also,
at one time there was some English territory in France, in addition to
the channel islands. Even the United States, includes a place called
"Texas". ;-)