Re: [SLE] Suse 10.1 beta 9 loads wrong kernel
  • From: Joseph Loo <jloo@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 18:28:07 -0700
Art Fore wrote:
On Tue, 2006-04-11 at 19:32 +0200, Per Jessen wrote:
Art Fore wrote:

I have installed the Suse 10.1 beta9 on my Inspiron 8500 and it comes
up that the smp kernel is loaded instead of the default i386 kernel.
Both are shown in /lib/modules. Boot log shows smp kernel loaded. How
can I get it to load the default kernel instead of the smp kernel?
Install the default kernel, then modify lilo.conf as appropriate.

/Per Jessen, Z├╝rich

Could not find any istall procedure or howto. Did try to rename
the /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.16-18-default to vmlinuz but now it comes up with
no /lib/modules/2.6.16-18-default/modules.dep, even though it is there
so guess I will just reinstall 10.0 and try a 10.1 rc1 when it comes
out. Could not find where the .Trash-user file was to recover the file,
seem to be a deep dark secret that not even Google knows about.

Art

Isn't your laptop an Intel processor with hyperthreading. If it is so, I believe that it thinks it has two processors, thus it is loading the correct kernel. this is a side effect of the hyperthreading I think.

--
Joseph Loo
jloo@xxxxxxx