Re: [SLE] Slightly OT. How to retrieve ISP settings from a dead win98
  • From: Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 23:16:45 -0400
On 06/04/11 17:12 (GMT-0400) Rikard Johnels apparently typed:

> I have a friend who is a computer illiterate (More or less)
> And he's old Win98 crashed due to a bad disk.
> I managed to dd_rescue most of it, but of course its not bootable.
> Now, as my evil plan is to make a convert of the poor guy, i have installed
> Linux on his machine :)

> But the difficult thing is: He doesnt know his ISPsetup.
> It seems he doesnt even know WHAT provider he has....
> No papers no nothing in place to look for clues.

> So my question is: How the *bad words* can i retrieve the ISP settings from
> the dead Win98 setup?

ISPs who provide installation CDs for doze usually leave some revealing
installation CD content in the \Program Files\Internet Explorer
directory tree, in part so that when they run IE its titlebar can
display the ISP name.
--
"Have nothing to do with the fruitless deeds of darkness, but
rather expose them." Ephesians 5:11 NIV

Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409