RE: [SLE] How does one pronounce "SUSE"
  • From: "Greg Wallace" <gregwallace@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 01:07:21 -0500
On Tuesday, April 11, 2006 @ 11:57 PM, kai wrote:

>On Tuesday 11 April 2006 04:32 pm, James Knott wrote:

>> Actually, there are many areas of Europe and elsewhere, where national
>> borders include populations that are from neighbouring contries. IIRC,
>> there's even a piece of Italy on the Swiss side of a border lake. Also,
>> at one time there was some English territory in France, in addition to
>> the channel islands. Even the United States, includes a place called
>> "Texas". ;-)

>Which is technically pronounced, "te-haas," as it is/was a Mexican state
>before it became a republic.

>I'm not quite sure what language they speak there in "te-hass" as I can't
>understand them for the life of me.

>--
>kai - www.perfectreign.com

As a native Texan, I do find that certain provincials have trouble
understanding the more pure English dialect spoken in Texas. Those of a
more cosmopolitan persuasion have less difficulty. In all seriousness, it
harkens back to what part of Europe the original inhabitants came from, etc.
As with any spoken dialect, it's a commingling of what the original
inhabitants spoke and the influence of those they came in contact with along
the way. It's not a pure invention. Personally, having lived in Texas,
Louisianna, Nova Scotia, and Alaska, as well as inter-mingling with all of
the transplants in each of these places, I have, I have been told by my
relatives, developed a "different way of speaking". This is a good example
of the influence one's surrounding culture has on one.

Greg Wallace