[Fwd: Media mount failure on adding DVD source of installation?]
  • From: "Hylton Conacher (ZR1HPC)" <hylton@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 16:53:42 +0200
Damn ISP. Sorry again folks

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [SLE] Media mount failure on adding DVD source of installation?
Date: Sat, 08 Apr 2006 16:45:47 +0200
From: Hylton Conacher (ZR1HPC) <hylton@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: SLE <suse-linux-e@xxxxxxxx>

Hi all,

Recently I posted a question about a compatible DVD RW. I was able to
get a LiteOn drive and had it inserted into the box. On next
under-privileged user login the drive was detected automatically and
added into the /etc/fstab file.

I have had an ongoing problem with kppp
(http://devel-home.kde.org/~kppp/index.html)
and my external modem, and kinternet just doesn't do it for me. I
decided to update the 9.2 kppp with the one on the Linux Magazine SuSE
10 DVD I had received in the hope that it might solve some or all of my
kppp problems.

Into Yast to change the source of installation:->Add->DVD. This failed
though with the message box that it was unable to locate the
installation source (Media mount failure). I clicked Yes to try again
with the same result.

The box has two optical devices on the same IDE cable:
A CD-Rom which I initially installed from marked as Secondary slave and
this new DVD-RW marked as Secondary Master.

The fstab entry is:
/dev/dvdrecorder /media/dvdrecorder subfs
fs=cdfss,ro,procuid,nosuid,nodev,exec,iocharset=utf8 0 0

What is causing me to be unable to read from this DVD-RW as the fstab
entry for the CD-ROM is exactly the same(after the mount point entry,
and I can use that one?