Re: [SLE] Recommended Steps to swap out video cards
  • From: Elijah Savage <esavage@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 11:46:39 -0400
Sunny wrote:
> On 4/11/06, Elijah Savage <esavage@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Sunny wrote:
>> I think it is surely recognized. Could this be because I got a asus 6600?
>>
>> Section "Device"
>> BoardName "Framebuffer Graphics"
>> BusID "2:0:0"
>> Driver "nvidia"
>> Identifier "Device[0]"
>> VendorName "VESA"
>> EndSection
>>

> Strange, in my xorg.conf it shows the name of the card. Anyway, it's
> not importatnt.
>
> Do you have in Xorg.0.log something like:
> (II) NVIDIA(0): NVIDIA GPU detected as: GeForce FX 6600
>
> Also, when you start sax2, try to change the card to the correct model.
>
> I get a little bit lost anyway - I can not recall what happens after
> you setup the card in runlevel 3 with sax -m 0=nvidia, did you try to
> issue startx? Does it starts the X server? If not, what errors you see
> in Xorg.0.log?
>
> And, if it works, do it starts OK after reboot in runlevel 5? If not,
> what are the errors?
>
> Sunny
>
> --
> --
> Svetoslav Milenov (Sunny)

Sunny,

Runlevel 5 and everything starts now but seem my logs below, also this
was an upgrade to the 6600 from a ati9250. I am thinking about going
back to the ATI because it seemed render quicker. Though this card seems
to be clearer with my monitor and the fonts are crystal clear. Also
within sax2 I do not see a way to change the card to the correct model,
it just shows options from with sax2.

linux:~ # cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log |grep GPU
(II) NVIDIA Unified Driver for all NVIDIA GPUs
(--) Chipset NVIDIA GPU found
(II) NVIDIA(0): NVIDIA GPU detected as: Unknown
(--) NVIDIA(0): Interlaced video modes are supported on this GPU

Elijah Savage | AOL IM:layer3rules
Senior Network Engineer | When it has to be switched or routed.
http://www.digitalrage.org | The Information Technology News Center
----- http://www.digitalrage.org/?page_id=46 for pgp public key--------