The great vanishing usbdisk
  • From: "Peter N. Spotts" <pspotts@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 14:02:21 -0400
Folks,

I've had to reinstall SuSE 10.0 on my Toshiba Satellite 1905-303S.
Previously, the machine automatically picked up either the USB drive
(Maxtor One Touch II 300 gb) or my iRiver mp3 player via usb without any
prompting from me.

Now, however, when I plug either in, SuSE doesn't see it. When I do an
fdisk -l /de/sda, it returns: /dev/sda doesn't have a valid partition
table.

When I "hotplug" the drive and run dmesg, SuSE clearly registers the
drive, but, again it shows an "unknown partition table," then some
interesting entries:

FAT: bogus logical sector size 48
VFS: Can't find a valid FAT filesystem on dev sda.
VFS: Can't find an ext2 filesystem on dev sda.
VFS: Can't find a Minix or Minix V2 filesystem on device sda.
HFS+-fs: unable to find HFS+ superblock
subfs: unsuccessful attempt to mount media (256)
usb 1-2: USB disconnect, address 7
usb 1-2.4: USB disconnect, address 8
usb 1-2.7: USB disconnect, address 9
drivers/usb/class/usblp.c: usblp0: removed
hub 1-0:1.0: over-current change on port 2
usb 1-2: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 10
hub 1-2:1.0: USB hub found
hub 1-2:1.0: 7 ports detected
usb 1-2.4: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 11
usb-storage: device found at 11
usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
usb 1-2.7: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 12
drivers/usb/class/usblp.c: usblp0: USB Bidirectional printer dev 12 if 0 alt 0 proto 2 vid 0x03F0 pid 0x8204
Vendor: Maxtor Model: OneTouch II Rev: 023g
SCSI device sda: 586114704 512-byte hdwr sectors (300091 MB)
sda: assuming drive cache: write through
SCSI device sda: 586114704 512-byte hdwr sectors (300091 MB)
sda: assuming drive cache: write through
sda: unknown partition table
Attached scsi disk sda at scsi3, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
Attached scsi generic sg0 at scsi3, channel 0, id 0, lun 0, type 0
usb-storage: device scan complete

One final, gulp, observation. I used the Yast2 partitioner to see what
it could tell me about what already may be existing on the two drives.
When I aimed it at the Maxtor, the entire disk read, gulp, "free." The
iRiver, by contrast, shows an existing FAT32. Why do I think I can
guess the answer to this already? :-/

If I've inadvertantly trashed the Maxtor, any recommendations on the
best file format to use to partition it? Sigh...

With best regards,

Pete