Re: [SLE] The great vanishing usbdisk
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 20:19:19 +0200
Peter N. Spotts wrote:

> usb-storage: device found at 11
> usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
> usb 1-2.7: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 12
> drivers/usb/class/usblp.c: usblp0: USB Bidirectional printer dev 12 if
> 0 alt 0 proto 2 vid 0x03F0 pid 0x8204
> Vendor: Maxtor Model: OneTouch II Rev: 023g
> Type: Direct-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 04
> SCSI device sda: 586114704 512-byte hdwr sectors (300091 MB)
> sda: assuming drive cache: write through
> SCSI device sda: 586114704 512-byte hdwr sectors (300091 MB)
> sda: assuming drive cache: write through
> sda: unknown partition table
> Attached scsi disk sda at scsi3, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
> Attached scsi generic sg0 at scsi3, channel 0, id 0, lun 0, type 0
> usb-storage: device scan complete

So the disk is working fine and is available as /dev/sda.

> One final, gulp, observation. I used the Yast2 partitioner to see what
> it could tell me about what already may be existing on the two drives.
> When I aimed it at the Maxtor, the entire disk read, gulp, "free." The
> iRiver, by contrast, shows an existing FAT32. Why do I think I can
> guess the answer to this already? :-/
>
> If I've inadvertantly trashed the Maxtor, any recommendations on the
> best file format to use to partition it? Sigh...

If you know more or less what it's partition-format was, you could
simply try to recreate it - i.e. if the entire stick was used for one
partition, just use fdisk to recreate that. Then try to
mount /dev/sda1.

File-system - if you need to reformat - depends on what you use it for -
if you need to exchange with multiple operating system, e.g. Linux and
Windows, pick the lowest common denominator. Probably VFAT.

/Per Jessen, Z├╝rich