RE: [Fwd: Re: [SLE] Real Numbers representation in Tcl language]
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 01:19:53 +0200 (CEST)

The Wednesday 2006-04-12 at 17:32 -0500, Greg Wallace wrote:

> No problem. I didn't realize the program used software to elevate the
> values for ordinates and mantissas beyond the machine's hardware limits.
> Very interesting. I'm obviously way behind the times on how math
> functionality is implemented in the modern PC era! Good info.

Remember that the intel x86 processors did not come with floating point
math: that was done by an add on procesor, and it was expensive. I'm not
sure when they started to have the f. math unit was included in the main
procesor, but somewhere in the pentium series, I guess.

Therefore, in the PC world compilers had to include libraries for simple
things as multipliying 2.3 * 5.4. Even gcc (or the kernel?) still contains
an (optional) emulation library.

- --
Cheers,
Carlos Robinson