Re: [SLE] How Do I Set Default Permissions
  • From: Kevanf1 <kevanf1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 15:40:37 +0100
On 13/04/06, Donald D Henson <wepin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-04-12 at 15:24 -0400, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> > * Donald D Henson <wepin@xxxxxxxxx> [04-12-06 14:37]:
> > > I can't seem to locate info on how to set default permissions for a
> > > folder and it's contents.
> >
> > look at: http://www.linuxforums.org/security/file_permissions.html
> >

> > --
> > Patrick Shanahan Registered Linux User #207535
> > http://wahoo.no-ip.org @ http://counter.li.org
> > HOG # US1244711 Photo Album: http://wahoo.no-ip.org/gallery2
> >
> Thanks for the reference. It looks like the answer to my question is in
> there somewhere but it also looks like I'm going to have to spend some
> time in there.
>
> Donald D. Henson, Managing Director
> West El Paso Information Network
> The "Non-Initiation of Force Principle" Rules

I've got the feeling that Donald is after the file or area that SuSE
stores its 'default' set of permissions that it refers to when it
automatically creates a new entry in fstab. Am I correct? If so, I
would be very interested in knowing this myself. I did ask a few
weeks ago but presumed that nobody knew as it went unanswered. I too
know about stuff like running chmod 777 as an example of giving full
read, write and execute permissions to everybody. It's just where
that default file actually is?

Xmas may be over but, PLEASE DON'T drink and drive you'll make it to
the next one that way.

Kevan Farmer

Linux user #373362

Cheslyn Hay