mkstemp errors during rsync backup
  • From: David McMillan <skyefire@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 16:57:28 -0400

Hello, list. Googling around and searching the SLE archives didn't get me anywhere with this problem, so I figured I'd try here.

I have a USB external HD that I keep copies of several gigabytes of data on, that needs to be updated regularly. Most of the time this drive is connected to my laptop running SuSE 9.1, but I have to be able to share it with Windows systems on demand, so the USB HD is formatted in FAT32.
To update the USB drive, I've been using rsync from my SuSE system. It mostly works, in so far that the data gets onto the USB drive, but I also get long rivers of errors and the whole process takes a really long time. Plus, it often seems to get hung up for interminable periods.
I get a whole lot of "chown" errors, which is to be expected given the the USB drive is FAT32. That's a minor problem, though I'd like to get rid of it if I could. The *real* problem, and the one where the computer often seems to hang for long periods of time, is "mkstemp". My Googling hasn't really told me much about what this is, and I'm not sure why I'm seeing hundred (thousands?) of these errors:

mkstemp "/sda1/David/Desktop/Kuka/JK/Robot_Backups/UnderBody Skid/R03/KRC/STEU/Mada/.$machine.dat.rQ9Gmv" failed: No such file or directory

I also don't understand where these errors are coming from. In the above example, there *is* ../Mada/$machine.dat file on the source drive, but the filename lacks the leading . and doesn't have the hash-like extension. There is no file that completely matches this filename. And the files that do almost match, are *not* getting copied to the backup. I admit I'm at a loss to figure this one out.

  • No further messages