Re: [SLE] Adding Disk Space
  • From: Kevanf1 <kevanf1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 22:08:38 +0100
On 13/04/06, Donald D Henson <wepin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> (SuSE Linux 10.0)
>
> I need to add some disk space to my /public folder. I am currently
> running a single partition on a single 125 GB disk drive. My intentions
> are to mount the new drive to a temporary folder, /pubnew for example,
> copy everything from /public to /pubnew, delete the files in /public,
> and then rename /pubnew to /public. On the surface, this sounds okay but
> it is so simple that it makes me think I have missed something. Can
> anybody see a way that this procedure can get me into serious trouble?
> I'd appreciate any comments.
>
> Donald D. Henson, Managing Director
> West El Paso Information Network
> The "Non-Initiation of Force Principle" Rules

I think I would be tempted to at least rename the old '/public' file
to /publicold just in case anything wasn't right. I wouldn't delete
it for a few days until I was happy the transfer was ok. Over the top
maybe but I've seen enough data lost by cavalier usage to be ultra
cautious now :-)

No doubt others can offer some better suggestions as well.
Xmas may be over but, PLEASE DON'T drink and drive you'll make it to
the next one that way.

Kevan Farmer

Linux user #373362

Cheslyn Hay