Re: [SLE] Adding Disk Space
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 10:36:24 +0200
Donald D Henson wrote:

> (SuSE Linux 10.0)
>
> I need to add some disk space to my /public folder. I am currently
> running a single partition on a single 125 GB disk drive. My
> intentions are to mount the new drive to a temporary folder, /pubnew
> for example, copy everything from /public to /pubnew, delete the files
> in /public, and then rename /pubnew to /public. On the surface, this
> sounds okay but it is so simple that it makes me think I have missed
> something. Can anybody see a way that this procedure can get me into
> serious trouble? I'd appreciate any comments.

Sounds good except for the renaming which is unnecessary - I would
probably recommend using rsync instead of 'cp' - that'll make the copy
process restartable.

mount new partition at /new
rsync -avH /public/* /new
umount /public
umount /new
mount new partition at /public.

Now you can do whatever you want with your old partition.

/Per Jessen, Z├╝rich