Re: [suse-amd64] Hardware advice for upgrade.
  • From: Sunny <sloncho@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 08:59:17 -0500
On 4/13/06, John <newsgrp1@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > 5. Where I would appreciate some advice is on the graphics side,
> > > graphic cards to date have only been an early Nvidea PCI with 64kb,
> > > and a later upgrade to an AGP ATI Radeon 9200 with 128Kb. What would
> > > be a reasonable choice for a graphics card to give her a real benefit
> > > in handling photos? I can't see the need for two SLI x16 cards,
> > > however given only a small difference in m/b pricing If there is
> > > scope for two Nvidea cards it wouldn't matter.
> >
> > For photo processing, you don't need a fast card. The work is usually
> > done by the CPU. It would be possible to use graphics hardware to
> > speed up some 2D operations, but AFAIK Gimp doesn't do this. Unless
> > you plan to run 3D software such as games, Blender, or perhaps an XGL
> > desktop, you should be fine with just about any PCI-X card.

I would only suggest that you prefer nvidia, not ATI. Personally I'm
pissed off of ATI's support and their driver is more buggy. I already
replaced 2 ATI's with nvidia, just because ATI's driver will lockup
the machine if you start 2 X servers (i.e. by switching users).

And at nvidia they have support forums, and really better KB.

Disclamer: I'm not related to nvidia in any way.

--
Svetoslav Milenov (Sunny)

  • No further messages