Re: [SLE] OT: Posting from another unsubscribed address for a subscriber?
  • From: "Hylton Conacher (ZR1HPC)" <hylton@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 13:13:02 +0200
Carlos E. R. wrote:

The Wednesday 2006-04-12 at 12:45 +0200, Hylton Conacher (ZR1HPC) wrote:

Patrick got me thinking though...Perhaps I could insert the GMail SMTP server
entry in my local client, correctly identified by Carlos as Mozilla 1.7.2, as
opposed to my ISP SMTP server? Could I use the GMail SMTP server without
logging onto GMail?

Yes, of course.
I'll have to give this a try.

You set up the account in Mozilla-mail; you then choose the smtp server in the advanced section of the account "server setting" setup, from one of the many separate "outgoing servers (smtp)" (in the "Advanced" button) you had previously setup in Mozilla-mail. Gmail simply requires you to authentificate; ie, select "User name and pass" and "TLS".
Tnx Carlos, I learn everyday!! I didn't realize that I could have more than one SMTP server. I see now that the Outgoing server entry is the default SMTP sever and under the advanced button I can add/specify a SMTP server I would rather use.

As a result maybe I won't have to use the GMail SMTP server to deliver ALL my email.

<snip>

So the mail client setup here could be:
- 3 Inboxes, each with their own email address
- The SMTP entry of GMail

As many smtp servers as you want, posibly a different one for each account.
:)

- A dialup connection using one of the email addresses to authenticate
myself to the ISP.

When I send email from any one of the three email addresses I have, it will
all be delivered regardless of the sending email address?

Pardon?
Ok, more explanation follows:

I have a Tiscali dialup account that includes a single email address on their network. I also have a GMail account and another email address on my own domain. So in essence I have a single dialup connection but have configured Mozilla to allow me to send email from either of the three email addresses I have.

The unfortunate thing is/possibly was, was that any mail sent from any of the email addresses I own had to be delivered by the tiscali SMTP server. Tiscali, in all their wisdom, seemed to decide that they would not send email from another domain if they received it from a client connected to their network ie I dial into them and am therefore allowed to send email from the email account they gave me but it seems not from another domain email address ie hylton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Seems most strange as I thought SMTP servers were merely mail relays between hosts who didn't initially confirm the authentication of the sender.