Re: [SLE] How Do I Set Default Permissions
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 13:26:51 +0200 (CEST)

The Saturday 2006-04-15 at 11:01 +0100, Kevanf1 wrote:

> Mmmm, yes and no, Carlos. I'd like to know where the area is that
> SuSE actually holds the file with it's permissions set. As an
> example, if I were to install a brand new clean SuSE 10 where are the
> actual device permissions held that the install refers to then?

Depends on which devices. The initial default for the /dev directory
depends on devfs, as implemented by the udev daemon, with configuration in
/etc/udev/; remember that the /dev tree is now dynamic, not static as it
was. Sure, there is a static tree coming from devs-...rpm, but it gets
completely overwritten once the kernel starts the devfs, very early in the
bootup process.

Then, some may get modified by /dev/devperms. Some may get modified by the
/etc/permissions* files. And some get modified on every single local login
according to /etc/logindevperm. Not to forget those plugable devices
depending on the hald daemon, with configuration under /usr/share/hal.

See? Not a single place.

- --
Cheers,
Carlos Robinson