Re: [SLE] For those who follow such things [ot]
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 20:45:44 +0200
On Saturday 15 April 2006 20:00, Vince Littler wrote:
> In the past 36 hours, I have been hit by several dozen 'Undeliverable mail
> Returned to sender' messages, in response to spam sent out notionally in
> the name of my domain. Thank you for your contribution, Patrick Shanahan,
> to placing my email address in plain view on the internet.

I can't say how spammers operate to gather their lists of addresses, but if I
were to do it, I would subscribe to the mailing lists with an anonymous
address. That would bypass any protection schemes put in web archives. The
only way to get around that would be to re-send list mail to subscribers
using the list address instead of the original sender address, but of course
that has its own set of problems