RE: [SLE] Microsoft cannot withstand Linux pyramid: philosopher (SUSE) Girardet
  • From: "Kai Ponte" <kai@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 13:20:38 -0700
> On Fri, 2006-04-14 at 17:34 -0500, Greg Wallace wrote:
> > On Friday, April 14, 2006 @ 7:37 AM, Greg Freemyer wrote:
> >
> > >I get a suspended page.
> >
> > >Looks like it may be an article you have to subscribe to see.

> > >Greg Freemyer
>
> > Works fine for me.
Didn't work for me at work. Works fine from home.

For those who can't get it online and since the dude works for Novell..

<quote>
Twelve years ago, Andreas Girardet, a Masters graduate in philosophy and
logic from Berlin University caught the twin internet and Linux bugs.
Today Girardet, whose official title at Suse Linux vendor Novell is
Linux Evangelist, says logic dictates that Microsoft will not be able to
withstand the onslaught of Linux.
Girardet, who once founded a Linux distribution called Yoper, says the
buzz around Linux in the enterprises he visits with Novell sales teams
is unmistakeable. His role is to explain the ins and outs of Linux to
senior IT executives and he says that acceptance and knowledge of Linux
has grown in quantum leaps in the past two years.

“In the last two years I have seen it go from, ‘well let’s look at what
Linux is’ to ‘OK let’s do it’. Now everyone knows about it. I have not
been to a single sales talk recently, where we have had no success. We
literally can’t keep up with the demand,” says Girardet.

According to Girardet, even the current dominance of Microsoft on the
desktop does not stand a chance against the sheer size and volume of
development taking place under the Linux banner.

“Linux is like building pyramids as opposed to the normal way of
development which is like building a skyscraper,” he says. “In a
pyramidal effort you have many individual people dragging stones to the
building and it might take longer to build but the pyramid lasts longer.
In Suse, there are about 15,000 to 20,000 developers working on the
project and internally at Novell we have about 1,000 developers devoted
just to Suse.

“In addition, there are millions of people devoted to the ongoing
development of Linux. Microsoft can’t match millions of people building
a pyramid. They don’t stand a chance. The code that Suse is based on is
a community effort of millions - not just 20,000 Suse developers.

“We’ve caught up now with Linux on the desktop with Suse Linux
Enterprise Desktop (SLED). It will not be long before we move ahead with
the innovation driving the open development environment. This innovation
effort is unparalleled. It is the effort of science because Linux really
grew out of the internet idea, it feeds off it and also helped the
internet to grow. The whole innovation drive which the internet allowed
us to do in society is the same drive behind Linux. That’s why I’m
logically convinced that it’s just a matter of time for Microsoft and it
stands no chance.”

According to Girardet, the cracks in the dam for Microsoft are beginning
widen as the software giant comes under increasing pressure to bring its
new products to market in order to perpetuate its pricing model.

“You can see the troubles beginning for Microsoft now,” says Girardet.
“You just have to look at their latest press releases about their delays
and so on.”

According to Girardet, migrating from Windows to SLED is not going to be
the painful process that some people in the Windows community are making
it out to be.

“Our testing with usability groups has shown that people saw it as much
of a difference as going from Windows 2000 to Windows XP,” he says. “At
the end of the day the change is very similar but people can judge that
for themselves.

“My personal opinion is that we are now at the point with SLED where we
can make Linux hidden from the user. We have done a lot of usability
testing and it has allowed us to create a very easy to use and simple
interface designed around ease of access. Open Suse release 10.1 is
basis for the Suse Linux Enterprise Desktop (SLED). We have taken this
release in its entirety and have put some glue around it to make it easy
for people to install, put some drivers in, put some additional
proprietary software in, package it all together and that is basically
our flagship product.”

The only caveat on Girardet’s optimism is the impending final release of
SLED. The software is still in beta and the finished product is not due
to hit the market until sometime in June.

“We still have three solid months of development to do and the combined
effort that’s going on now is incredible,” he says.
</quote>
--
kai ponte
www.perfectreign.com || www.livebeans.com

linux - genuine windows replacement part

  • No further messages