Re: [SLE] Can a native 64-bit CPU run 32-bit code ?
  • From: Leendert Meyer <leen.meyer@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 00:43:08 +0200
On Sunday 16 April 2006 00:12, Maura Edeweiss Monville wrote:
> My laptop has a AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3700+, Architecture is x86_64.
> My problem is that I have to compile a code that will then be linked to
> pre-compile binaries produced on 32-bit machines.
> In short, everything must be compiled to generate 32-bit code for the sake
> of compatibility.
> There should be an option in the gcc compiler that forces it to generate
> 32-bit code..

I have no experience with 64-bit, but as I'm experimenting with a mips-router
that involves cross-compiling (ADM5120P cpu), I thought i'd have a look at
the 10.0 package repository. There is a directory named 'x86_64'. In there I
found not only a gcc-4.0.2, but also gcc-32bit-4.0.2 package. Something for
cross-compiling and worth to have a closer look?

> But assuming I've got an executable for 32-bit machines, then can I run
> such an exectable on MY OWN laptop which is 64-bit ?
> If the answer is "yes" (I hope so) then I'd be grateful to know how I can
> do that .

:}

Hmm, I noticed two other mailinglists that might interest you:

- suse-programming-e (http://lists.suse.com/archive/suse-programming-e/)
- suse-amd64 (http://lists.suse.com/archive/suse-amd64/)

Cheers,

Leen