[SLE] Another backup resource (was: rsync syntax help)
  • From: Jim Cunning <jcunning@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 22:44:31 -0700
I was thinking about the use of rsync for backup to another disk, when I
remembered a tool that I have been using every day (automatically) and nearly
forgot about: storeBackup

One of the limitations I see to using rsync for backup is that it only
generates a single image of the source files, and (so far as I know) doesn't
have any means for saving previous versions of any file.

I think storeBackup does all of Hylton Conacher was wanting to do (e.g., local
disk -> NFS disk backup), and then some... It will save date/time-stamped
backup directory images without saving multiple copies of unchanged files
(using hard links instead). I use it to backup my database files, photo
images, web pages, and my wife's win2k machine (via CIFS mount from linux).
It works so well, I don't have to constantly babysit it, and recovering files
is simple. I recommend looking in to it. I think it might be on the Novell
SUSE Linux 10.0 DVD, which I don't have, but it appears to be available from
other sources as well. Google shows a few.

Jim Cunning

< Previous Next >