Re: [SLE] For those who follow such things [ot]
  • From: Hans du Plooy <hansdp-lists@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 14:32:07 +0200
On Sun, 2006-04-16 at 11:14 +0100, Dave Howorth wrote:
> Doesn't that make them easy to detect? Recognize them as reject messages
> by the subject line or other means, then check the body for something
> (message id or subject?) that corresponds to a message in the Sent
> folder for the claimed address? If there's a match, it's a real reject.
> If not, bin it!

No, you're wanting server level software to mess with user software
(which is more often than not on a different machine).

The only real way to achive this would be to track messages via the
logs. So postfix would "remember" that it sent a certain message out,
and would know if it gets a bounce for that message that it is valid or
not. But there are two problems with this.

1. On a very busy site the resources required for this would be
enormous.

2. The original mail (that was bounced) may not have been sent via the
server that receives the bounce. For example, I'm on ADSL at home, with
a dynamic IP, so I have to send mail through my ISP's smtp server, which
doesn't receive mail for any of the domains I use for e-mail. So if I
sent a mail out via my ISP, with a typo in the address, say, and it gets
bounced, it goes back to my mail domain's server (which has nothing to
do with the ISP), who will see: "Oh, I didn't send this mail out, so
this bounce must be invalid."

Hans

< Previous Next >