Re: [SLE] 64-bit and 32-bit conflict
  • From: Jerry Feldman <gaf@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 10:46:26 -0400
On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 09:06:21 +0100
Peter Nikolic <p.nikolic1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Mind you i never got any help trying to install Linux on my brand new
> Presario V5030 laptop from them either had i know the sort of response i got i
> would have purchased another brand .
You will not get any help from Dell, Gateway, EMachines, Lenovo, Sony,
or Toshiba either. There are a couple of companies that do provide
Linux preinstalled on laptops, but none of the major vendors do.

Actually, HP has a page where they list laptops that are certified with
Linux. There is the URL for the SuSE certification.
<http://h10018.www1.hp.com/wwsolutions/linux/products/clients/clientscert-suse.html>

It would be nice if HP (and other vendors) would support Linux on their
retail products, but there are some very good business reasons why they
are not.

BTW: HP (through their Digital purchase) has been involved with Linux
and Linus Torvalds since 1993.
--
Jerry Feldman <gaf@xxxxxxx>
Boston Linux and Unix user group