Re: [SLE] Can a native 64-bit CPU run 32-bit code ?
  • From: Maura Edeweiss Monville <memonvil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 18:15:59 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 16 Apr 2006, Jerry Feldman wrote:

> IMHO, you should be able to run 32-bit code. The problem is with
> libraries.
> You can create 2 copies of the blas and lapack libraries. I happen to
> have a very large (over 1,000,000 lines of code) that I have ported to
> the 64-bit IA64 that happens to use both blas and lapack. This same
> code runs on an x86_64 box that currently has RHEL 3.0 with a 64-bit
> kernel.
>
> You should have on your system
> /lib - 32-bit lib
> /lib64
> /usr/lib
> /usr/lib64
> /usr/local/lib
> /usr/local/lib64
>
> You should find that the blas and lapack 32-bit and 64-bit will coexist
> nicely.

CERN provides a link to a LAPACK source code described at
http://www.netlib.org/lapack/
It can be downloaded from
http://cernlib.web.cern.ch/cernlib/install/lapack3.html
by clicking on "lapack.tgz"
I've been adviced to use the equivalent package meant for SuSE
downloadable from
http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/4/idpl/1805848/com/blas-3.0-923.i586.rpm.html
But CERLIB expects the ".a" lapack library as specified at
http://cernlib.web.cern.ch/cernlib/install/lapack3.html
whereas the rpm file for SuSE provides the ".so"

Installing the CERN library on a 64-bit machine is a nightmare that I'm
suggested to give up.
In the following I'm copying my supervisor's suggestion based on a
previous experience they had at trying to install MARS (A Mongte Carlo
code that uses the CERLIB) on SuSE.
As you all will read it's not encouraging .. sigh ..

**++**************************************
* PASTED MESSAGE FROM MY SUPERVISOR *
Nikolai Mokhov
to me
Hide options 6:59 am (6 hours ago)
From: Nikolai Mokhov <mokhov@xxxxxxxx> Mailed-By: fnal.gov
To: Maura Monville <maura.monville@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Apr 16, 2006 6:59 AM
Subject: Re: CERNLIB
Reply | Reply to all | Forward | Print | Add sender to Contacts list |
garbled?
Maura,

A month ago, we had a problem with a MARS user who had 64-bit SuSE on her
computer. Mike Kriss spent a half a day trying to help her resolve the
problems you are facing. Then they gave up, Elaine switched to a 32-bit
Red
Hat with the appropriate CERNLIB, and after that in 30 minutes she was
able
to run the MARS system. You can check with Mike and
Elaine Marshall <emarshall@xxxxxxxxxxxx>.

Because of such cases, I don't like to deal with laptops for MARS, not to
mention that you won't be able to get the full version there with MCNP,
LAQGSM, DPMJET etc. The natural way is to do most of the work on the
clusters - cartoon and heimdall for you - as all of us do.

There is a chance that I will be absent on some days of the coming week
because of a jury duty: I will be checking their voice messages every
night
starting today (Sunday) to find out if I need to show up in the court next
day. If I will need to be there, I will try to stop in my office after
that
in evenings.

I am in my office now dealing with some unavoidable things...

Cheers,

Nikolai

> --
> Jerry Feldman <gaf@xxxxxxx>
> Boston Linux and Unix user group
> http://www.blu.org PGP key id:C5061EA9
> PGP Key fingerprint:053C 73EC 3AC1 5C44 3E14 9245 FB00 3ED5 C506 1EA9

< Previous Next >