Re: [SLE] Faxing from 10.0
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 16:20:49 +0200 (CEST)

The Sunday 2006-04-16 at 12:31 -0400, Mike McMullin wrote:

> Yes I blanked the number. Makes sense when this will be going into a
> web wide search-able archive. From the phone book, I have a seven digit
> number in Kdeprintfax, the phone book from jhylafax is the ten digit
> number.

I don't like those discrepancies... the end number should be the same, but
the error would pop up after the first dial attempt, not before.

> I think the log files are being generated from jhylafax and not from
> kdeprintfax.

Ah. :-(

> I open konq in the log file directory and tried running
> kdeprintfax, there was not new log from the failed attempt. I waited
> several minutes and then ran jhylafax and it produced a new log file.
> given the difference in phone numbers, 10 for jhylafax and 7 for
> kdeprintfax, I'm fairly sure that the logs are from jhylafax, and
> kdeprintfax isn't getting far enough to create an eror log file in
> the /var/spool/fax/log directory.

Not good.

Then, you have a problem with "kdeprintfax", not hylafax. Try faxing
directly with "sendfax"; for instance, from the configuration I have in
OpenOffice:

sendfax -m -n -T 3 -s a4 -D -d "(PHONE)" "(TMP)"

from "man sendfax" (different from "info sendfax"):

SYNOPSIS
sendfax [ options ] [ files... ]

DESCRIPTION
sendfax submits one or more facsimile transmission requests to a
HylaFAX facsimile server. Requests are normally processed immedi
ately, although they may also be queued for transmission at a
later time using a syntax identical to the at(1) command.
sendfax passes POSTSCRIPT® and TIFF documents directly through to
the fax server for transmission, and attempts to convert other
file formats to either POSTSCRIPT or TIFF. In normal operation
sendfax automatically converts ASCII-text, troff(1) output,
Portable Document Format (PDF), and Silicon Graphics format images
for transmission. Support for other file formats can be easily
added through an extensible file typing and conversion facility;
see typerules(5F). Note that since TIFF Class F documents are
processed directly it is simple to forward a received facsimile.

If this works, then check what kdeprintfax is using to send faxes. Mine
(which I've never used, so it contains the defaults) says it uses:

/usr/bin/sendfax -n %server_h %res %time_a %enterprise_x %comment_c %email_f -d %name_{@@@}%number %files

which is the same command. I wonder if the syntax is entirely correct, I
dont see many command switches above.

- --
Cheers,
Carlos Robinson