Re: [SLE] laptop without LCD
  • From: Brad Bourn <brad@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 10:39:48 -0600
On Monday 17 April 2006 10:07 am, jdd sur free wrote:
> the LCD screen of my ASUS 1000 laptop is dead time ago and
> was cut out by a repair shop. I could get back the computer,
> but not the screen.
>
> since then, windows don't accept more than 800x600
> (initial/standard was 1024x780).
>
> With Linux I could once have it works. sadly I don't find
> again the option I uses.
>
> before the screen broke it worked in 8.x with "sax2 -m
> 0=fbdev" and vga=0x317 at boot and in 9.0 with vesa bios.
>
> problem is sax2 _do_ accept the 1024x768 definition, but X
> don't.
>
> This is particularly bad because I use a CRT screen that
> accepts much more than 800x600 :-(
>
> I need today to have this with a 10.0 (but same problem)
>
> idea?

Laptops usually will have hardware (BIOS Fn key) controlled monitor
switching. And they are usually a 3 way toggle. Laptop, External, Both.

You might want to play with those and see if you can get your external screen
to be on for 2 of those presses and blank with the 3rd. Then try both of the
ones where it is on, because one would be by itself, and the other would be a
'clone' mode.

Otherwise, if you know the specific card that the laptop has, you can tell the
card what display to use (not monitor section, but video card section) in the
X.conf file. If you have an nVidia, it is easy and well documented.

Hope this helps.

B-)