Re: [SLE] Firefox 1.0.8
  • From: "Kai Ponte" <kai@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 11:22:14 -0700

> > Looking at some RPM repositories, I don't see any 1.5.0.2 RPM files
for
> > SUSE/SuSE out there yet.
> >
> > Maybe you could make one? :)
> Why would you want an RPM when all you need to do is to go to the
> Mozilla site - http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/ - and download
> the *.tar.gz file of the latest FF (or TB) file (I use the
nightlies),
> untar it and install it?

Comfort.

Being a newbie and not knowing about the innards of how GNU/Linux work
and the relationship (or lack thereof) I have a fear of installing
something from TAR, not knowing if it will/will not run with my other
apps. I am much more secure knowing I'll install an RPM and it will
work the way it should and that there won't be issues down the road,
for which I"m completely unprepared to handle. I'm sure others feel the
same way.

For a smallish app like - say - AirCrack or NMap - which don't need
KDE/Gnome integration - there isn't an issue. This fear, I think, only
comes with more "involved" apps like Firefox or OpenOffice.