Re: [SLE] Firefox 1.0.8
  • From: Paul Cartwright <paul_tbot@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 14:30:40 -0400
On Mon April 17 2006 2:22 pm, Kai Ponte wrote:
> Being a newbie and not knowing about the innards of how GNU/Linux
> work and the relationship (or lack thereof) I have a fear of
> installing something from TAR, not knowing if it will/will not run
> with my other apps.  I am much more secure knowing I'll install an
> RPM and it will work the way it should and that there won't be
> issues down the road, for which I"m completely unprepared to handle.
> I'm sure others feel the same way.

what happens ( at least it happened to me with Firefox) is that I
installed it from the tar as me ( a user) and I installed the RPM as
root. Now, depending on what button I click, or what menu I use I get
either 1.5.0.1 or 1.5.0.2

gets confusing!! Last time I tried removing all & starting from scratch
I had so many crap files left floating around, that I got errors when
I tried to restart FireFox.

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800