Re: [SLE] Re: Oracle-Novell
  • From: "Greg Freemyer" <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 19:52:46 -0400
On 4/17/06, Chuck Davis <cjgunzel@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> This whole discussion is nonsense. What is the motive? If Oracle
> wanted a Linux distro why not grab openSuse and start adding their
> goodies? Why pay millions for Novell? Or Redhat? I don't see it
> happening. Maybe testing the waters to see what the reaction to an
> Oracle distro might be but I don't think they're going to buy Novell
> for SUSE Linux -- maybe OpenExchange or something but not Linux which
> already is so readily available.
>
> That's my $.02.
>
> Chuck

Oracle is a very expensive DB, so if a customer is spending $100K for
the DB they would probably appreciate getting a quality Linux distro
thrown in for another couple thousand.

If Oracle decides they want to distribute a Linux Distro then I
suspect they will buy a company that has all the support
infrastructure in place.

Why would they want to recreate that particular wheel.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer
The Norcross Group