Re: [SLE] Firefox 1.0.8
  • From: Leendert Meyer <leen.meyer@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 02:29:42 +0200
On Tuesday 18 April 2006 02:16, Bruce Marshall wrote:
> On Monday 17 April 2006 19:49, Leendert Meyer wrote:
> > >
> > > Being a newbie, one of the first things to learn is that it is NOT
> > > GNU/Linux, it is just Linux.
> > >
> > > (Much as the GNU people would like you to think that way)
> >
> > This is interesting. I learned it the other way around: I tought it was
> > Linux, but Linux is only the kernel, and GNU provides basic applications
> > built around it.
> >
> > According at Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux), we both are
> > right.
>
> GNU supplied the compiler and some other utilities.
>
> I read it best at a place where someone suggested we call it KDE/Linux or
> Apache/Linux.
>
> It just doesn't make sense to call it GNU/Linux. (Yes there are GNU
> supplied pieces.....)

Yes, right after I posted my email I read another article on WP:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU/Linux_naming_controversy

IMHO naming the OS after the kernel does not sound quite right. But this name
is widely used, and I'm happy to use it too: it's short and powerful.

'Nuf said. ;) (we're getting a bit OT too)

Cheers,

Leen

< Previous Next >