Re: [SLE] Oracle-Novell
  • From: "Joe Zitnik" <JZitnik@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 08:22:48 -0400
That last quote I read said Ellison had been thinking of buying Novell,
but decided against it. The reasons to buy Novell are plenty. They are
cash rich, even with the recent attempts by Novell management to destroy
the company with lousy business decisions and lack of marketing, they
still have a ton o' cash.
Remember as well, few people hate MS the way Ellison does. Oracle's
purchase of Novell would give them plenty. First, a messaging product
(GroupWise) to go against Exchange, a couple of different operating
systems at the network level, Netware and SuSE, and a desktop platform.
Throw in some of Novell's excellent products like ZenWorks and Identity
Manager, which are always winning best in show awards, but poorly
marketed as the rest of Novell offerings are, and it makes all kinds of
sense. All of the sudden, Oracle goes from a company seen mainly as a
database provider, to a company that has both server and desktop
operating systems, desktop management and messaging solutions, as well
as a world class database. Sound like anyone else out there? Now
Oracle can go head to head with MS at every level.
Plus both of them use red as their primary logo color :-)

>>> On 4/17/2006 at 7:28 PM, Dwerts <n7nkj@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi all, just my 2 cents worth into the fray. Larry E. is getting use
getting his way and with his strong dislike of Bill G and MS, I
wouldn't
be surprised at all that Novell is bought by Oracle. They, Oracle,
have
a VP in charge of Linux product development, SuSE is the next piece of
the puzzle for them, I think. Do they have the $'s, probably.
--
Don N7NKJ
SuSE 9.3 Because it keeps on working! and it's open source!

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little
temporary safety,
deserve neither liberty or safety".
Benjamin Franklin