Re: [SLE] Accessing ~user/public_html [solved]
From: "Leendert Meyer" <leen.meyer@xxxxxxx>
On Tuesday 18 April 2006 07:22, David Rankin wrote:
>From: "Carl Hartung" <suselinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> On Tuesday 18 April 2006 00:44, Carl Hartung wrote:
> <snip>
>
> Ooops! You already posted it (gettin' late here)
>
> You have run rcapache2 restart after changing the config files, right?

Yes, every time. (I'd shoot myself if I hadn't). I'm at a loss. It seems
like I must be missing something incredibly simple, but I can't identify it
to save my life. I've check throught /etc/sysconfig/apache2, I've read
through the output of phpinfo(), I've been through /etc/apache2/httpd.conf
and /etc/apache2/httpd.conf.local. I've been through
/etc/apache2/mod_userdir.conf and /etc/apache2/default-server.conf. I've
check permissions, etc..

If you can think of anything else to check, let me know. The funny thing is
my SuSE 9.0 (apache 1.3) box that sits next to the 10.0 box works just
fine. I've been through those configs as well and I still can't make heads
or tails of it. Go figure?

There must be a 'userdir' in the APACHE_MODULES variable
in /etc/sysconfig/apache2. If that is missing, add it there (and do
'SuSEconfig; rcapache2 restart' afterward).

For all I share my stupidity,

The problem was the permission set on /home/david. They were 700. All
permission under david were fine (755). But since the default ownership was
david:users, in order to prevent read access by anyone but me, I had set the
top level permissions to 700. I have reset them to 755 and all is well.

Thanks for everyone's help

--
David C. Rankin, J.D., P.E.
RANKIN LAW FIRM, PLLC