Re: [SLE] Oracle-Novell
  • From: George Stoianov <gstoyanoff@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 11:57:36 -0400 (EDT)

--- Joe Zitnik <JZitnik@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> That last quote I read said Ellison had been
> thinking of buying Novell,
> but decided against it. The reasons to buy Novell
> are plenty. They are
> cash rich, even with the recent attempts by Novell
> management to destroy
> the company with lousy business decisions and lack
> of marketing, they
> still have a ton o' cash.
> Remember as well, few people hate MS the way Ellison
> does. Oracle's
> purchase of Novell would give them plenty. First, a
> messaging product
> (GroupWise) to go against Exchange, a couple of
> different operating
> systems at the network level, Netware and SuSE, and
> a desktop platform.
> Throw in some of Novell's excellent products like
> ZenWorks and Identity
> Manager, which are always winning best in show
> awards, but poorly
> marketed as the rest of Novell offerings are, and it
> makes all kinds of
> sense. All of the sudden, Oracle goes from a
> company seen mainly as a
> database provider, to a company that has both server
> and desktop
> operating systems, desktop management and messaging
> solutions, as well
> as a world class database. Sound like anyone else
> out there? Now
> Oracle can go head to head with MS at every level.
> Plus both of them use red as their primary logo
> color :-)

> <n7nkj@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all, just my 2 cents worth into the fray. Larry
> E. is getting use
> getting his way and with his strong dislike of Bill
> G and MS, I
> wouldn't
> be surprised at all that Novell is bought by Oracle.
> They, Oracle,
> have
> a VP in charge of Linux product development, SuSE is
> the next piece of
> the puzzle for them, I think. Do they have the $'s,
> probably.
> --

All I hope for is whoever ends up owning my favorite
Linux distribution stay true to its nature of
providing a playing field for many open source
projects and products.

What I like most about GNU/Linux is variety I would be
very upset if I could not see and try different
things.

I am wondering what is going to happen to MySQL and
PostgreSQL if Oracle gets the distro they are
competitors at a certain market niche. Oracle's model
has to be different from the "my way or the high way"
model someone else is using ;).

Regards,
George