Re: [SLE] Oracle-Novell
  • From: jonlists@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 12:23:38 -0500
"Joe Zitnik" <JZitnik@xxxxxxxx> wrote on 04/18/2006 07:22:48 AM:

> That last quote I read said Ellison had been thinking of buying Novell,
> but decided against it. The reasons to buy Novell are plenty. They are
> cash rich, even with the recent attempts by Novell management to destroy
> the company with lousy business decisions and lack of marketing, they
> still have a ton o' cash.
> Remember as well, few people hate MS the way Ellison does. Oracle's
> purchase of Novell would give them plenty. First, a messaging product
> (GroupWise) to go against Exchange, a couple of different operating
> systems at the network level, Netware and SuSE, and a desktop platform.
> Throw in some of Novell's excellent products like ZenWorks and Identity
> Manager, which are always winning best in show awards, but poorly
> marketed as the rest of Novell offerings are, and it makes all kinds of
> sense. All of the sudden, Oracle goes from a company seen mainly as a
> database provider, to a company that has both server and desktop
> operating systems, desktop management and messaging solutions, as well
> as a world class database. Sound like anyone else out there? Now
> Oracle can go head to head with MS at every level.
> Plus both of them use red as their primary logo color :-)

> Hi all, just my 2 cents worth into the fray. Larry E. is getting use
> getting his way and with his strong dislike of Bill G and MS, I
> wouldn't
> be surprised at all that Novell is bought by Oracle. They, Oracle,
> have
> a VP in charge of Linux product development, SuSE is the next piece of
> the puzzle for them, I think. Do they have the $'s, probably.
> --
> Don N7NKJ
> SuSE 9.3 Because it keeps on working! and it's open source!
>
> "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little
> temporary safety,
> deserve neither liberty or safety".
> Benjamin Franklin

The same article, same rumors about Oracle buying Novell have been around
for at least 12-14 years, and get trotted out every 3-4 years. The same
concepts, same arguments still get applied.

Oracle won't buy Novell because Oracle is a database company. Novell is a
networking company. Oracle has enough problems trying to protect their own
world right now without the complication that purchasing another company
like Novell would bring. Novell would add nothing but more products to
manage, and Novell has a huge amount of products, none of which integrate
very well with what Oracle is about.

It's interesting to note that after 10 years of the same, Oracle isn't
dead, and neither is Novell (although Novell looked dead three to four
years ago). Sun isn't dead either. Neither is Apple. Wasn't Microsoft
supposed to kill all these companies?

Jon Johnston
Creative Business Solutions
IBM, Microsoft, Novell/Suse and Sophos Consulting
952-544-1108
http://www.cbsol.com
Blog:http://bingo.cbsol.com