Re: [SLE] Bash Files
  • From: Rob Wright <suserob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 15:51:37 -0500
On Monday April 17 2006 18:42, James Knott wrote:
> Rob Wright wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm trying to learn more about bash and setting up some system
> > customizations. It seems like OpenSuSE 10.0 might be using a setup that's
> > different from the "typical" .bash_profile, .bash_logout, and .bashrc
> > files?
>
> Many Linux books describe the relationship of those file and run
> sequence. Also, SUSE used local files, which is where you're supposed
> to make your changes, as the main files may get over written in an update.

I may not have been quite clear enough in my original question. I have in
front of me a copy of "Learning the bash Shell" from O'Reilly. I've renamed
my ~/.profile file hoping to use the bash specific ~/.bash_profile and
~/.bashrc files. But I'm still getting values and settings that are different
from what I've specified in the ~/.bash_profile.

Looking at my ~/.profile, it looks to be not bash specific, is this the case?
If so, can I make the system not read it, and to use only the bash files in
my home directory.

I'm trying to avoid editing the main files specifically because they may get
over-written, and I'd like to be able to take my files with me if I go to
another system.

Thanks

Rob