Re: [SLE] Re: Oracle-Novell
  • From: kai <kai@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 20:04:02 -0700
On Tuesday 18 April 2006 04:26 am, Stephen Boddy wrote:
> On Tuesday 18 April 2006 05:03, kai wrote:
> > 5. Novell is in a less-than-optimal situation. They are floundering a bit
> > trying to get a foothold in the enterprise market. That shows a company
> > ripe for the picking.  Novell's stock is hovering between $5 and $8 a
> > share. (Aside from today's bump.) This in comparison to the leader - Red
> > Hat - who probably doesn't even want to be bought. Their stock is in the
> > high $20's a share, even with today's drop due to the news.
>
> Share price is irrelevant. Market capitalisation is where you need to look.
> That's how much it would "cost" to "buy" the company. In reality you would
> rarely "buy" the company. At the moment you're looking at:
> NOVL $2.99B
> RHAT $5.10B
> which suggests that although Novell share price is lower, they also have
> more shares. If the number of shares were equal to Red Hat's, then Novell
> would be more like $18.
> Just for perspective:
> ORCL $70.93B
> IBM $127.96B
> and our favourite old whipping post:
> MSFT $277.35B

Yes, thanks for the clarification. It has been over eight years since I took a
finance class and - due to my almost daily flight schedule at the time, I
ended up becoming a grad school dropout.

> Personally I'd prefer Oracle to stay out of Novell.

Oh, I agree throughly!! I have no desire to move on to another distribution.
Though it appears Novell has been somewhat hands-off in terms of adding
corporate bloat to the product and supply chain, I cannot imagine Oracle
would be so easygoing.

On the other hand, Oracle has been doing some cool stuff by releasing their
latest to the world for free. I haven't used it yet - and have no plans to -
but that shows a good sign. In addition, their failed takeover of JBoss
(whatever that does) shows at least a recognition that OSS is a viable
solution.

> So far Novell haven't
> done anything to massively upset me.

Nah, me either. At least they haven't turned into a closed of elitist ivory
tower like they did with NetWare back in the early '90s.

> They've made a lot of the right moves,
> and seem to be genuine about reinventing themselves and fighting the good
> fight (OSS not religion ;-). I don't really trust Oracle to continue that
> state of affairs.

Seems to be a common thread in what I've been reading the past to days in the
world.

--
kai