Strange dmesg error - DVD drive
  • From: "Gustav Degreef" <gustav97@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 14:48:44 +0530
I get a constant error message on the Ctrl alt F10 terminal. dmesg shows
the same message multiple times:

hdb: packet command error: error=0x50 { LastFailedSense=0x05 } ide: failed
opcode was: unknown

hdb is the DVD drive.

I have Suse 10.0 on an HP pavillion dv4000 laptop working quite well, but I
have a DVD R+W, CD R+W drive. The drive seems to work well in reading and
writing CD's and DVD's.

I searched for messages on this list back several years without much
success. Google gives me only a few hits that seem to indicate problems
with the IDE driver or kernel, but I don't really understand how to approach
the problem. Do I need different drivers or kernel?

I am using the stock kernel that came with the installation DVD -
2.6.13-15-default

Any pointers would be appreciated. Gustav
  • No further messages