Re: [SLE] The "cp" command is skipping files/dirs over nfs
  • From: Brad Bourn <brad@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 11:11:22 -0600
As you probably konw, you can capture any output (including stderr) to a file.
The best way I can think of for seeing it also, is to tail the capture file.

Like this

find . -name "biff*" > output.txt 2>&1

the ">" is the redirection operator, telling bash (or whatever) to redirect to
output.txt, then the "2>&1" tells bash (or whatever) to redirect stderr to
stdout. That way, you get everything in the output.txt file.

To be able to see the stuff as it is written to the file, call the command (on
different shell, or in foreground (use different shell if you don't yet
understand foreground and background jobs))

tail -f output.txt

tail is like less or more, accept that it shows the end of the file. Then the
-f switch tells it to stay active and spit out to the screen anything it sees
added to the file.

If the starting output is important to see, then you'll want to run the tail
command before the command you want to capture output from, but you will need
a file to exist for the tail command. You can create one very easy with the
same ">" redirect operator, like this

echo "This is the beginning of the file" > output.txt

so now you have a file you can [tail -f].

as a side note, the ">>" operator appends the file rather than replace the
contents. ">" by itself will zero out the file before it start outputting to
it.

Hope this helps

B-)