Re: [SLE] Oracle-Novell
  • From: Jerry Feldman <gaf@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 16:05:43 -0400
On Wednesday 19 April 2006 3:13 pm, Steven Pasternak wrote:
> I think that it would be a good thing if Oracle bought Novell. I am no
> business-buff, but since Oracle is a big company, it probably has big $.
> I think that the only way to replace M$ in the desktop would be
> advertising, which needs big $.
I think that having Oracle owning Novell (or another Linux distro) may be
good or bad depending on how you see things.
I'm not so sure that advertising alone is needed. One of the things that
would help is if one or more of the major PC vendors would offer Linux
installed as an option. But, that probably will not happen. The contracts
that these companies have with Microsoft would be jeopardized. HP did offer
one of their business laptops with Linux preinstalled, but no longer. But,
both IBM, HP, and SGI offer Linux preinstalled on their servers.
--
Jerry Feldman <gaf@xxxxxxx>
Boston Linux and Unix user group