Re: [SLE] Running Windows Media Player with SuSE?
  • From: Gil Weber <gil@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 17:03:43 -0400
On Wed April 19 2006 4:11 pm, Carl Hartung wrote:
> On Wednesday 19 April 2006 15:22, Charles Philip Chan wrote:
> > Strange, they are there. Try putting the file that I sent you
> > privately in /etc/mplayer and try again. Also, which version of
> > mplayer are you using?
>
> I'm running the latest available from Packman:
>
> MPlayer-1.0pre7try3-4
> mplayerplug-in-3.21-0.pm.0
> w32codec-all-20050412-0.pm.0
>
> I broke down, signed up and downloaded some test clips from the
> problem site (.mpg, .wmv & .avi). These files play just fine,
> locally, so it isn't the codecs. No joy with your codecs.conf file,
> either, but thanks for sending it!
>
> Carl

Carl and all,

I have made some progress.

Now installed:

mplayer 1.0pre7try3-4 i586
mplayerplug-in-3.21-0.pm.0 i586
kmplayer-0.9.2_0.99.1-1.guru.suse100 i686
w32codec-all-200504 12-0.pm i586

I removed gxine-plugin from Firefox.

mplayerplug-in shows as installed in YaST. However, I don't see it in
Firefox about:plugins.

Nor do I see it in /home/gil/.mozilla/plugins or
in  /home/gil/.mozilla/firefox or in /home/gil/firefox/plugins.

So if mplayerplug-in is there, it's hiding from me. I am unable to tell
if it is doing anything. :o)

Here's what I now see on the websites:

On www.mlsnet.com Windows Media Player opens and I get the video! :o)
However, there is no audio. :o(

On www.soccerfanatics.net/browse.php Windows Media Player tries to open
but none of the videos play. :o(

And just for the heck of it, I looked on cnn.com, clicking on any of the
news links that have a small video camera icon next to them. Windows
Media Player appears on screen, and it looks as it it's trying to load
data (the small clock that says "wait" is going round and round, but it
never stops going round and round). The videos never play. (Well, I am
assuming that if I wait 2 minutes or more that it should have loaded,
and if it hasn't after about 2 minutes it's not going to...)

So, some progress! I am still wondering whether mplayerplug-in is
actually working or not. How can I tell?

Thx
Gil

< Previous Next >